Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thursday Thoughts - My Solar Water Heater

Thursday...
Time to share some thoughts!

Times are hard for many people and I am no exception.

No propane to heat my water 
and no money to buy any propane, yet!

So what's a person to do?

Use the



I boiled water to take baths and to wash the dished every day, but it gets so hot in the kitchen. 
Finally  It's hot and sunny in Oklahoma!

So, I have these 

washed, empty plastic jugs. 

I fill them with water

and then they go here
Note: The snap-on lids don't work well for this 
as you can see in the picture.


on this old plant stand.

The back of the house gets afternoon sun

and by having them mostly laying down on the rack 
and against the bricks, the water gets warmer.
Bricks put out a lot of heat from the sun and so these jugs are getting as much natural heating as possible.

So... what do you think of my solar water heater?



......................

Here's a way to save some money for watering your garden, flower beds, raised beds.

I catch all my rinse water when I wash dishes into a big bowl 
(you can use a wash pan)

I pour it into a big bucket and when it's full, off I go to the various places where I have watermelons, cantaloupe, potatoes, grapes, blueberries and pour it. 

I make as many trips as I have buckets of water. So this "gray" water is being used.

I have rural water and it is like liquid gold. $50-60 per month for one person. That's just the water. So by using the "gray" water, I am saving money and being environmentally friendly at the same time.

There is a valve you can have installed on your washing machine to have your gray water go to your yard to water your plants. I would love to have one! A standard washing machine using about 75 gallons of water. Think of how green your plants would be and how much they would produce if they were watered that much!

...............

Have a wonderful Thursday!

Thanks for stopping by too!
I appreciate it!



3 comments:

watercolors said...

LOVE ALL your tips.

GENIOUS on the solar water heater!

Dianes Dangles said...

Great idea for heating your water, and laying them against the brick wall is clever.
I am glad to hear that it is not currently storming in your area.

ShadowDogDesigns said...

What a great solar water heater idea, Jacki! And also using the gray water. I grew up doing that - every drop of gray water was used. In fact water from the bathtub/shower was funneled out because our septic system couldn't handle it. Water for the garden!

Visit me on Etsy!

Thanks for stopping by!

Craft Business, Selling Crafts, Handmade Crafts promoted here.


Mostly Business - Monday Twitter Tree©.

Two for Tuesday Featuring 2 items from 2 shops.

Wednesday I did away with the Giveaways. Too much work!

Thursday Thoughts Just random posts of whatever seems to be on my mind.

Friday Fun Generally a cartoon or a funny story, to make you SMILE

Saturday Shopping Spree.

Sunday Spiritual posts honoring God.