Thursday, September 12, 2013

Thursday Thoughts

Thursday.....
What's on my mind?


As we approach October, (when most people start their Christmas shopping), support your team members if you can. Some teams have a designated discount or coupon set up. Buy "handmade" if you can. Support the independent businesses.

I am on so many "teams" on Etsy and "guilds" on ArtFire, there are certainly many shops to choose from.

I read a message from Zibbet this morning that 100's upon 100's of Etsy shop owners have left Etsy and joined Zibbet. I had no success with Zibbet, but then I didn't promote that shop either.

Most blogs have sponsors or advertisers now. If you advertise on a blog, tweet the link to the daily posts. That's another opportunity for someone to click your shop. 

When someone includes you in a treasury or Collection, comment there and tweet or like of facebook, whatever you do to promote. Let the creator of the treasury or Collection know that you appreciate being included. After all, they took their time to include your item.

If you want to be successful online, you have to do your part. You have invested in materials to make your items. You have invested your time to make your items. You have invested some sort of compensation to list your items. Invest some time to promote your items if you want sales.

I know there are some shops with unique items that get sales anyway, but for the most part, if you don't promote, you won't get sales.

So step up to the plate.

Personally I don't promote many items for shops that don't sell handmade. I will promote shops that sell beads. Quality beads, but not wholesale resellers. I promote vintage items too,

I promote. I have ever since I started selling my handmade in a "shop". There are days when I am twitter weary, but I do it anyway. Just one tweet can make the difference in an item selling.

Take advantage of the groups who are promoting. Participation will get you seen. Plus backlinks!  The more backlinks you have, the higher your item appears in google searches.

Many people were dismayed with Etsy changing the feedback system and we all lost feedback as a result. Myself included. I am staying on Etsy for my pdf patterns I have, because I love that I uploaded them one time and the buyer only has to download the pattern straight from Etsy. Artfire does not have this feature and I read that if they implemented it we (the pdf seller) would have to pay for that service. 

Artfire shops are basically a stand alone website. Shop owners that have left, didn't grasp that concept. You have to promote it or there won't be traffic.

Eluna Jewelry has started an Item of the Week promotion. I am participating. I just started this week. If you would like to participate, contact her here


Thanks for stopping by today. Now promote! Let's get busy!





1 comment:

watercolors said...

Thanks for your helpful info.

I promote like crazy and do experience some sales.

I click almost to the frozen shoulder, but as you say - do it anyway and I try to promote others. Its comes around.

Have a good day all.

Visit me on Etsy!

Thanks for stopping by!

Craft Business, Selling Crafts, Handmade Crafts promoted here.


Mostly Business - Monday Twitter Tree©.

Two for Tuesday Featuring 2 items from 2 shops.

Wednesday I did away with the Giveaways. Too much work!

Thursday Thoughts Just random posts of whatever seems to be on my mind.

Friday Fun Generally a cartoon or a funny story, to make you SMILE

Saturday Shopping Spree.

Sunday Spiritual posts honoring God.