Sunday, August 4, 2013

Sunday Spiritual - Cab Ride

Hebrews 13:1 


Let brotherly love continue. 





 I arrived at the address and honked the horn.

 
 after waiting a few minutes

 
 I walked to the

 
 door and knocked.. 'Just a minute', answered a

 
 frail, elderly voice. I could hear something

 
 being dragged across the floor.




   









 
 After

 
 a long pause, the door opened. A small woman in

 
 her 90's stood before me. She was wearing a

 
 print dress and a pillbox hat with a veil pinned

 
 on it, like somebody out of a 1940's

 
 movie.




   









 
 By her side was a small nylon

 
 suitcase. The apartment looked as if no one had

 
 lived in it for years. All the furniture was

 
 covered with sheets.




   









 
 There were no

 
 clocks on the walls, no knickknacks or utensils

 
 on the counters. In the corner was a cardboard

 
 box filled with photos and

 
 glassware.




   









 
 'Would you carry my bag

 
 out to the car?' she said. I took the suitcase

 
 to the cab, then returned to assist the

 
 woman.




   









 
 She took my arm and we walked

 
 slowly toward the curb.




   









 
 She kept

 
 thanking me for my kindness. 'It's nothing', I

 
 told her.. 'I just try to treat my passengers

 
 the way I would want my mother to be

 
 treated.'




   









 
 'Oh, you're such a good

 
 boy, she said. When we got in the cab, she gave

 
 me an address and then asked, 'Could you drive

 
 through downtown?'




   









 
 'It's not the

 
 shortest way,' I answered

 
 quickly..




   









 
 'Oh, I don't mind,' she

 
 said. 'I'm in no hurry. I'm on my way to a hospice.




   









 
 I looked in the rear-view

 
 mirror. Her eyes were glistening. 'I don't have

 
 any family left,' she continued in a soft voice..'The doctor says I don't have very

 
 long.' I quietly reached over and shut off the meter.




   









 
 'What route would you like me

 
 to take?' I asked.




   









 
 For the next two

 
 hours, we drove through the city. She showed me

 
 the building where she had once worked as an

 
 elevator operator.




   









 
 We drove through the

 
 neighborhood where she and her husband had lived

 
 when they were newlyweds She had me pull up in

 
 front of a furniture warehouse that had once

 
 been a ballroom where she had gone dancing as a girl.




   









 
 Sometimes she'd ask me to slow

 
 in front of a particular building or corner and

 
 would sit staring into the darkness, saying nothing.




   









 
 As the first hint of sun was

 
 creasing the horizon, she suddenly said, 'I'm tired.Let's go now'.




   









 
 We drove in

 
 silence to the address she had given me. It was

 
 a low building, like a small convalescent home,

 
 with a driveway that passed under a

 
 portico.




   









 
 Two orderlies came out to

 
 the cab as soon as we pulled up. They were

 
 solicitous and intent, watching her every move.

 
 They must have been expecting her.




   









 
 I

 
 opened the trunk and took the small suitcase to

 
 the door. The woman was already seated in a

 
 wheelchair.




   









 
 'How much do I owe you?'

 
 She asked, reaching into her

 
 purse.




   









 
 'Nothing,' I

 
 said




   









 
 'You have to make a living,' she

 
 answered.




   









 
 'There are other

 
 passengers,' I responded.




   









 
 Almost

 
 without thinking, I bent and gave her a hug.She held onto me tightly.




   









 
 'You gave an

 
 old woman a little moment of joy,' she said.

 
 'Thank you.'




   









 
 I squeezed her

 
 hand, and then walked into the dim morning

 
 light.. Behind me, a door shut.It was the sound

 
 of the closing of a life..




   









 
 I didn't

 
 pick up any more passengers that shift. I drove

 
 aimlessly lost in thought. For the rest of that day,I could hardly talk.What if that woman had

 
 gotten an angry driver,or one who was impatient

 
 to end his shift?

 
 What

 
 if I had refused to take the run, or had honked

 
 once, then driven away?




   









 
 On a quick

 
 review, I don't think that I have done anything

 
 more important in my life.




   









 
 We're

 
 conditioned to think that our lives revolve

 
 around great moments.




   









 
 But great

 
 moments often catch us unaware-beautifully

 
 wrapped in what others may consider a small

 
 one.




   









 
 PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY

 
 WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~THEY WILL

 
 ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM

 
 FEEL.




   









 
 At the bottom of this great story was a request

 
 to forward this - I deleted that request because if you have read




   









 
 to this point, you won't have to be asked to pass it along




   









 
 you just will...




   









 
 Thank you, my

 
 friend...




   









 
 Life

 
 may not be the party we hoped for, but while we

 
 are here we might as well dance.



.....................
Sometimes an email may have the perfect message we need to hear.

Enjoy your Sunday!

16 comments:

watercolors said...

Precious posting. Need to be aware of those around us and what we can do to help them.
God Bless.

Kanweienea Kreations said...

Very touching. Thank you for this post.

Putman Lake Designs said...

As someone I know says, "My eyes are leaky." Thank you!

Ann

Jennifer Tuminello said...

Very touching post. Thank you so much for sharing!!

Ewenique said...

Such a sweet story.

luvncrafts said...

Beautiful post and great thoughts!

Angela Wojcik said...

Christie,
Thank you for sharing that. What a great story!

Cathy Morgan said...

Very touching, thank you for sharing.

Pamela Hollis said...

My eyes are doing what Ann said. Yes, we need to remember that it just takes a little sometimes to mean a lot to someone else.

JewelryArtByDawn said...

Sweet, touching and a good reminder to all of us. Thank you, Jacki!

ShadowDogDesigns said...

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing, Jacki.

Michelle said...

Beautiful story. Thank you. It can be really hard to slow down and to notice the little moments, but it can be amazing what we would have missed when we take the time to notice.

Roxanne Coffelt said...

I had read this story a long time ago, but it's worth a second read!

Julie and Blu said...

Great post, Jacki.

Julie and Blu said...

Great post, Jacki.

Lisa Bennett said...

Very sweet - thanks for sharing.
Lisa

Visit me on Etsy!

Thanks for stopping by!

Craft Business, Selling Crafts, Handmade Crafts promoted here.


Mostly Business - Monday Twitter Tree©.

Two for Tuesday Featuring 2 items from 2 shops.

Wednesday Where you'll find us Wednesday

Thursday Thoughts Just random posts of whatever seems to be on my mind.

Friday Fun Generally a cartoon or a funny story, to make you SMILE

Saturday Shopping Spree.

Sunday Spiritual posts honoring God.