Sunday, February 2, 2014

Sunday Spiritual - "A Keeper"

Good Sunday morning!



Sharing an email with you

Enjoy!

.......

A Keeper - this is awesome.
 
 
I grew up with practical parents. A mother, God love her, who washed aluminum foil after she cooked in it, then reused it. She was the original recycle queen before they had a name for it. A father who was happier getting old shoes fixed than buying new ones.

Their marriage was good, their dreams focused. Their best friends lived barely a wave away.

I can see them now, Dad in trousers, tee shirt and a hat and Mom in a house dress, lawn mower in one hand, and dish-towel in the other. It was the time for fixing things. A curtain rod, the kitchen radio, screen door, the oven door, the hem in a dress. Things we keep.

It was a way of life, and sometimes it made me crazy. All that re-fixing, eating, renewing, I wanted just once to be wasteful. Waste meant affluence. Throwing things away meant you knew there'd always be more.

But then my mother died, and on that clear summer's night, in the warmth of the hospital room, I was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't any more.

Sometimes, what we care about most gets all used up and goes away...never to return.. So... While we have it..... it's best we love it.... And care for it... And fix it when it's broken......... And heal it when it's sick.

This is true. For marriage....... And old cars..... And children with bad report cards..... And dogs with bad hips.... And aging parents...... And grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it.
Some things we keep. Like a best friend that moved away or a classmate we grew up with.

There are just some things that make life important, like people we know who are special........ And so, we keep them close!

I received this from someone who thinks I’m a 'keeper', so I've shared it with the people I think of in the same way... Now it's your turn to share this with those people that are "keepers" in your life. Good friends are like stars.... You don't always see them, but you know they are always there. Keep them close!

When you die, 10 things GOD won't ask you:

1..... God won't ask what kind of car you drove. He'll ask how many people you drove who didn't have transportation..

2..... God won't ask the square footage of your house, He'll ask how many people you welcomed into your home.

3..... God won't ask about the clothes you had in your closet, He'll ask how many you helped to clothe.

4..... God won't ask what your highest salary was. He'll ask if you compromised your character to obtain it.

5..... God won't ask what your job title was. He'll ask if you performed your job to the best of your ability.

6..... God won't ask how many friends you had. He'll ask how many people to whom you were a friend.

7..... God won't ask in what neighborhood you lived, He'll ask how you treated your neighbors.

8..... God won't ask about the color of your skin, He'll ask about the content of your character.
 
9..... God won't ask why it took you so long to find Him and ask Him into your house, He'll lovingly take you to heaven and not to the gates of Hell.
 
10..... God won't have to ask how many people you shared this with, He already knows your decision.

.......
Recommending reading 

One Book at a time!

Have a blessed day!

10 comments:

CraftsofthePast said...

Sunday is a special day for me, too. Especially this Sunday: the Prophetess Anna meets the Lord as a babe in arms and recognizes him. The Orthodox Church sets aside Feb 2 to celebrate this event.

So I will be celebrating my Saint's Day today at the feast of the Meeting of Our Lord (Luke chapter 2).

Anna

Ewenique said...

When we reach that place of absolute brokenness and cry out for mercy, God in kindness begins the work of refashioning His children into the likeness of His Son, Jesus Christ. Thank you for the reminder that we should also value those around us.

Roxanne Coffelt said...

Love the list!

I can definitely relate to your story. My parents grew up in the depression. If I ever got new clothes either my mom sewed them or we got them on clearance. They saved everything. In the end they had two double garages and couldn't get a car in any of them.

Joys AZ Place said...

What a touching and heartwarming post, thank you for sharing it and reminding us of what is really important!

Wyvern Designs said...

Like Roxanne, my parents grew up in the depression. It was my father who washed aluminum foil and fixed everything. It was from my "helping" him that I learned to fix a toilet and use tools. My mother sewed our clothing and gave us unconditional love. They are both gone now and I still miss them terribly but every time one of my kids says that they are glad I'm their Mom, I see that my parents live on through me. Thank you for sharing this wonderful article.

Michelle said...

Thank you for the post. My dad has always been extremely frugal and conscious of money. Ultimately, how we treat other people is more important - a lesson I hope to instill in my own children.

Adorebynat said...

Thanks for sharing! Good food for thought!

Claire Marese said...

Sounds like the home I grew up in with six kids in the family. Now I know why I wash out zip-loc bags and save them.

QuiltTops said...

I loved reading your post, Christie. My parents were savers and fixers, too, just as their parents were and now, my husband and I are as well. One of my Dads favorite says was: Waste not, Want not.

shymouseecrafts said...

My dad was the thrifty one. My mom wasn't so thrifty. She would wash ziploc bags out and reuse them also, but that was probably the extent of her thriftiness. My dad would figure out how to make do with what he had before he would buy anything. They are both gone now.

Visit me on Etsy!

Thanks for stopping by!

Craft Business, Selling Crafts, Handmade Crafts promoted here.


Mostly Business - Monday Twitter Tree©.

Two for Tuesday Featuring 2 items from 2 shops.

Wednesday Where you'll find us Wednesday

Thursday Thoughts Just random posts of whatever seems to be on my mind.

Friday Fun Generally a cartoon or a funny story, to make you SMILE

Saturday Shopping Spree.

Sunday Spiritual posts honoring God.